Skip to main content

"Cool" glasses paper + cardboard prototype


For my prototype I began in 2D sketching from my rhino file, though changing the arms i had originally planned by directly running them from the back of the round lenses in an effort to make the glasses look more designer"esque" and less goofy. I still currently want to pursue my concept of commenting on material culture and the ephemeral nature of apparel such as glasses.


I then traced and layered cardboard to add thickness and create the form.

I then glued the layers together with a glue stick.


I then used the same process to create the nose bridge using only 2 cardboard layers.

I rolled paper to create stretched cones to act as the arms of the glasses, also reminiscent of icicles.

I then hot glued the arms to the frame 

finished prototype


I'm looking forward to feedback tomorrow and am looking at ideas of incorporating more references to ice and the cold into the design of the glasses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Glasses: Concept Generation

 Two weeks ago we discussed our eye wear thumbnails and oddly enough the idea that got unanimous approval was my throwaway idea of ice cube glasses (#2) . In the discussion Bryan liked the car glass (#6.) which I was originally planning on taking to the second phase and may still do so in the future. Though the comments on my ice glasses had me reflect on this interesting concept of glasses as a preformative art piece that also play into the design of sunglasses, though in this case protecting one face from the heat of the sun rather than from it's UV rays. So to create these glasses i would need to make a rubber mold much like an ice cube tray that could be filled with water and frozen in a freezer or possibly dry ice because there is no freezer i know of at ACAD and i'm not sure if it would survive a cooler trip from home. I started thinking about how these things would realistically look like inspired by the classic aviator design with a large nose bridge t

Cool Glasses: Environmental Eyewear + Measurements

I began rethinking my eye-wear as I didn't really feel comfortable with the strength of my concept and decided it to tie in the concept with my research on the human perception of place and environmentalism. From that I came to the idea of representing our melting polar ice caps as glasses as ice masses that protect the planet from the suns rays using the white colour of snow and ice to reflect the suns rays much like sunglasses. I then imported images of Antarctica and Greenland with the pictureframe command and traced them with the control point curve traced map of Antarctica  traced map of Greenland  Here are the final outline I then extruded the curves to be implemented into the eyewear I then replaced the lenses of the glasses with the two ice covered land masses I then measured the smallest and largest widths of the nose bridge of my own glasses then implemented the measurements into the rhino sketch I then also translated the mea